Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Chocolate Birthday Cake with Mayo!

 
 
Just about every Sunday after we attend church my family and I stop by Publix grocery store to pick up a paper and a few other things for lunch. What is such a treat as we pass the deli is there is usually a lady from the Publix Aprons kiosk who is preparing a meal for us to sample. She serves a little sample of a main dish and dessert.
 
The main dish was great and the dessert was chocolate birthday cake. The cake was so moist and yummy! To my surprise when I picked up the recipe, was that the cake had mayonnaise as one of the ingredients. In the south we have a commercial that advertises putting mayo in a cake. I thought how weird is that until I tasted it.
 
 
 
So when I went home I decided to make the cake as our Sunday dessert. My youngest son and I are the only ones who knew what was in the cake.
 
 
 
 
 
I actually cut the recipe in half since it was just for us.
 
 
 
 
 
The cake turned out nice and firm.
 
 
 
 
 
I made my own buttercream icing and added a little cocoa.
 
My daughter does like not mayonnaise was told after she ate her piece that the cake was made with mayo. She went back for a second piece and actually wanted a third. I said that is it for today. Lol!
 
The cake was gone by Tuesday. I kid you not.
 
Here is the recipe. Tell me if you try it.
 
Chocolate Birthday Cake
 
Ingredients Butter (or cooking spray), to coat pan
4 cups cake flour (+ extra to coat pan)
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups mayonnaise
1 3/4 cups water
3 large eggs (or 3/4 cup egg substitute)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Prep
  • Preheat oven to 350°F.
  • Coat 13- x 9-inch baking pan with butter (or spray), then dust with flour.
Steps
  1. Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add mayonnaise, water, eggs, and vanilla just until mixed through.
  2. Pour batter into pan; bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  3. Remove cake from oven and let stand 40 minutes to cool. Finish with frosting and serve. (Makes 12 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/12 recipe) 570kcal; FAT 32g; CHOL 15mg; SODIUM 780mg; CARB 65g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 6g; VIT A 2%; VIT C 0%; CALC 2%; IRON 25%
 

3 comments:

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I have seen this so much...I think the recipe is on the back of the Hellman's mayo jar! Sounds great!

Linda said...

It looks yummy! Mayo makes everything better, but I'd never heard of it in cake!

Kelly Bermudez said...

Yum! If this was Gluten Free I's eat it up!